Financial Services

Helpful Links


Online Bill Pay




Motor Vehicle Abatements

Each excise tax is prorated from the date the vehicle was registered in the calendar year through to December 31.

If you did not have the vehicle through to Dec. 31, and cancelled or transferred your registration, you should apply for abatement.

The 2 documents needed to get the bill abated (adjusted) are a plate return receipt or a copy of the registration showing the date of transfer to another vehicle AND a bill of sale, a dealer’s purchase and sale agreement showing the vehicle was a trade-in, a receipt from the junk yard or letter showing the vehicle was a charitable contribution.  If you do not have any of those documents, you may submit a notarized statement attesting to your disposition of the vehicle.

The deadline for filing for motor vehicle abatement is 3 years from the date of the excise was due or one year from the date of payment.